Aim: To prepare and submit Hexamine
Chemicals Required: Distill Water, Formaldehyde, Conc: NH3 or NH4OH, Diethyl ether and ethyl alcohol.
Apparatus Required: Rotary Vapouriser, Thermometer, Litmus Paper, Measuring Cylinder, Reflux Condenser, Round Bottom Flask, Beaker, Buchner Funnel, Water Bath, Vaccum Desiccator and Glass Rod.
Principle: Hexamine is a heterocyclic organic compound that is also known as Methenamine or Hexamethylenetetramine or Urotropin. Hexamine use as an anti-infective agent and used to treat Urinary Tract Infections. Hexamethylenetetramine is prepared by the condensation of formaldehyde and ammonia
Procedure: The procedure of preparing hexamine is given below:
- Place of 10ml of 37% formaldehyde and 9ml of ammonia into a round bottom flask.
- Evaporate the solution on a Rotavapor.
- During evaporation, a white residue (urotropin) is formed.
- Add another portion of Ammonia 14ml to dissolve the solid.
- Once more place the flask onto a Rotavapor and evaporate the solvent. Repeat the solvent. Repeat that step once more with an additional portion of ammonia(14ml).
- After evaporation add 15ml of anhydrous ethanol and dissolve the solid by heating under reflux.
- Filter the hot mixture on the Bichner Funnel.
- Add 10ml diethyl ethar to the filtrate and cool down.
- Filter the precipitated urotropin wash it with anhydrous ethanol drain well and then dry on air.
Report: Hexamine was prepared and submitted.
Uses of Hexamine: Uses of Hexamine is discussed below:
- Hexamine dominantly used in the preparation of powdery and liquid preparation of phenolic resin moulding compounds.
- Hexamine is also used as a food preservatives.
- Hexamine is also use against concomitant odour and excessive sweating.