- Version 1
- Download 1881
- File Size 0.00 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date August 17, 2020
- Last Updated August 17, 2020
Special senses PDF Notes HAP
Download Special senses PDF Notes HAP Free for Pharmacy students.
Sense of Vision
a) accessory structures of the eye are those that are not directly related the sense of vision, but facilitate the physiology of the eyeballs.
- eyebrows – to shade the eyes from sunlight and to prevent perspiration from reaching the eyes.
- eyelids- to protect the eyes from foreign objects (e.g. dust particles) and to prevent desiccation (drying) of the eyes by lubricating fluid.
- conjunctiva- a mucous membrane on the inner lining of eyelids, which produces lubricating and cleansing fluid for the surface of eye.
Lacrimal gland- exocrine gland that secretes a dilute saline solution called tears for moistening the eyes. [ Tears contain mucus, antibodies and antibacterial enzymes that protect the eye from infections. Emotional
tears also contain enzymes that seem to help reduce stress levels].