- Version 1
- Download 10199
- File Size 7MB
- File Count 1
- Create Date August 23, 2020
- Last Updated July 6, 2021
Pharmacognosy Book PDF Download Free For B.Pharmacy and D.Pharmacy Students.
1. Definition, history and scope of Pharmacogonosy including indigenous system of medicine.
2. Various systems of classification of drugs and natural origin.
3. Adulteration and drug evaluation; significance of pharmacopoeial standards.
4. Brief outline of occurrence, distribution, outline of isolation, identification tests, therapeutic
effects and pharmaceutical application of alkaloids, terpenoids, glycosides, volatile oils, tannins
5. Occurrence, distribution, organoleptic evaluation, chemical constituents including tests wherever
applicable and therapeutic efficacy of following categories of drugs.
(a) Laxatives- Aloes, Rhubarb, Castor oil, Ispaghula, Senna.
(b) Cardiotonics- Digitalis, Arjuna.
(c) Carminatives & G.I. regulators- Umbelliferous fruits, Coriander, Fennel, Ajowan, Cardamom,
Ginger, Black pepper , Asafoetida, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Clove.
(d) Astringents- Catecheu.
(e) Drugs acting on nervous system- Hyoscyamus, Belladonna, Aconite, Ashwagandha, Ephedra,
Opium, Cannabis, Nux -vominca.
(f) Antihypertensive- Rauwolfia.
(g) Antitussives- Vasaka, Tolu balsam, Tulsi.
(h) Antirheumatics- Guggal, Colchicum.
(i) Antitumour- Vinca.
(j) Antileprotics- Chaulmoogra oil.
(k) Antidiabetics- Pterocarpus, Gymnema sylvestro.
(l) Diuretics- Gokhru, Punarnava.
(m) Antidysenterics- Ipecacuanha.
(n) Antiseptics and disinfectants- Benzoin, Myrrh, Neem, Curcuma.
(o) Antimalarials- Cinchona.
(p) Oxytocics- Ergot.
(q) Vitamins- Shark liver oil and Amla.
(r) Enzymes- Papaya, Diastase, Yeast.
(s) Perfumes and flavoring agents- peppermint oil, Lemon oil, Orange oil, lemon grass oil, sandal
Pharmaceutical aids-Honey, Arachis oil, starch, kaolin, pectin, olive oil. Lanolin, Beeswax, Acacia,
Tragacanth, sodium Alginate, Agar, Guar
Miscellaneous- Liquorice, Garlic, picrorhiza, Dirscorea, Linseed, shatavari, shankhpushpi, pyrethrum,
Collection and preparation of crude drugs for the market as exemplified by Ergot, opium, Rauwalfia,
Study of source, preparation and identification of fibers used in sutures and surgical dressings-cotton ,silk,
wool and regenerated fibers.
Gross anatomical studies of-senna , Datura, cinnamon, cinchona, fennal, clove, Ginger, Nuxvomica &