- Version 1
- File Size 600kb
- Create Date August 18, 2020
Download Acid Base Titration PDF Note Free For Pharmacy Students.
ACID – BASE CONCEPTS
• An acid-base titration (or neutralization titration) is based upon the chemical reaction
between an acid and a base.
• Several acid-base theories have been proposed to explain or classify acidity and basicity
properties of substances.
• Most familiar theory is the Arrhenius theory, but it’s applicable only to water.
• Other theories are more general and are applicable to other solvents.
ACID -BASE CHARACTER
• The non aqueous solvent can be classified based on its proton donor –acceptor properties.
• The solvent exert an influence on the acid-base properties of the solute.
• They are of 4 types namely :-
• The dissociating solvent AB dissociates to give the cation A+ [Lyonium ion] and the anions [Lyate ion].
• The lyonium ion is reponsible for acidic character of solvent and lyate ion is responsible for basic character of solvent.